Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hangar 24 Hammerhead

Hammerhead is yet another beer sent to me by my very generous San Diego buddy. I'm always up for trying new bourbon barrel stuff so it's great when he sends me things like this. The base is a huge barleywine, coming in at 14%. Don't mind the fact that I drank all of it by myself because my wife can't handle things like this. She's a wuss, I know.
This is actually the first beer purely from Hangar 24 I've had. Sure, I had the Ichigo Highway, but that was a collab with The Bruery. Spicy alcohol nose with oak, caramel, and vanilla. You know you're getting bourbon and some heat from this right from the start. The body was on the thicker side but not syrupy which was good. Flavors were a mix of caramel, cherry, vanilla, and very rich bourbon followed by a decent amount of heat. Not unpleasantly alcoholic, but totally ever present. Eric described it as "boozy but tasty" which I feel describes it really well. I managed to drink the whole thing by myself without help so take that as a positive recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment