Friday, June 14, 2013

The Bruery and Hangar 24 Ichigo Highway

Phew, what a week. I thought I was getting back into things last week and then I barely had any time in the morning during this one. But Pax is asleep on me at the moment so lets get something written. Ichigo Highway is a sour aged with strawberries brought to you by the good people from The Bruery and Hangar 24. If you've never heard of the latter, no real surprise as they are a smallish brewery outside San Diego (or that's where I think they are. They could be outside LA too. Somewhere in California at least). I only have this because of my generous friend that lives near there.
I'd actually heard positive and negative things about Ichigo Highway so didn't know what to expect. Honestly, though, I quite enjoyed it. Fruity, candy like nose with quite a bit of strawberry. I was a bit worried as Bottleworks XII was brewed with strawberries and had a big, sulfur like nose but this one didn't have any of those notes. Some funk and a lot of acid also showed up though. Body was crazy sour with a big helping of lactic and acetic acid. Since acetic acid presents as vinegar, it could have easily been the accented by the strawberries. At times, some slightly odd notes showed up but they disappeared quickly as well so whatever. Maybe someone more sensitive would be bothered by those flavors hence the bad reviews. Quite happy to try this and nice to see a fruit different than cherry and raspberry being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment