Monday, August 23, 2010

My beer club

Back in October '09 I was complaining to my wife that it's impossible to find interesting variety cases in Philadelphia and I wished I lived near more people so I could split cases with them.  She suggested that I instead email my friends and see if they'd be interested in splitting the cost of buying a case per person and then splitting them up into a single variety case.  This way I'd be able to try all the beers I wanted without having to buy 8 cases every time I stepped into a distributor.  This was the beginning of what I call my beer club.

My friend Pete responded with, "people are lucky to be blessed with maybe one great idea in their lifetimes. Ford had his assembly line, Pythagoras had his triangle thing, Newton had his fruit and cake. This is your idea and I applaud you" so I figured I was on to something.

Since then I've done 5 beer clubs.  Each had a different theme and different beers.
Pumpkin Beers
Wild Goose    Pumpkin Patch
Dogfish Head    Punkin Ale
Uinta    Punk'n
Weyerbacher    Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Ann Arbor    Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout
Brooklyn    Post Road Pumpkin Ale

Winter Beers
Troegs     Mad Elf
Magic Hat    Howl
Great Divide    Hibernation Ale
Heavy Seas    Winter Storm
Corsendonk    Christmas Ale
Smuttynose     Winter Ale
Sierra Nevada    Celebration Ale
Lagunitas    Brown Shugga

Stouts / Porters
Left Hand    Milk Stout
River Horse    Oatmeal Milk Stout
Smuttynose    Robust Porter
Great Lakes    Edmund Fitzgerald (porter)
Founders    Breakfast Stout
PBC    Joe Coffee Porter
Breckenridge    Vanilla Porter
Stoudts    Fat Dog (Imperial Oatmeal)

Scotch / Scottish Ales (with a cheat for Dragon's Milk)
Founders    Dirty Bastard
Dieu du Ciel    Equinox Du Printemps
Duck Rabbit    Wee Heavy
Oskar Blues    Old Chub
Orkney    Skullsplitter
Belhaven    Scottish Ale
Great Divide    Claymore Scotch Ale
New Holland    Dragon's Milk

Summers
Voodoo    White Magick of the Sun
New Holland    Golden Cap
Wells    Banana Bread
Anchor Steam    Summer
Brooklyn    Summer
Bells    Oberon
Smuttynose    Summer Weizen
Sierra Nevada    Summerfest

Of course, the beer club is only really necessary because Pennsylvania has absolutely terrible beer laws, but at least I can pretend I'm saving money or something by having to do it.

The next club I'm doing is going to be Fruit beers.  I'm going to try to find a case of some Cantillon style which I'm excited about trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment