Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Goose Island Pepe Nero

I've passed on my chance for Jo buy me a bottle of Pepe Nero for a long time now, so it was really nice to get one in a box my buddy recently sent me. This meant I got to try it but didn't have to actually spend money on it. Of course, that requires us to pretend that I didn't spend money on the box I sent him but I think we can get past that.
Pepe Nero is a farmhouse style beer brewed with peppercorns. Mild Belgian nose with a slight hint of pepper. The flavors were really difficult for me to capture. Light Belgian notes, basically mild banana, hints of caramel, and finished a bit peppery. It had an interesting aftertaste, mostly filled with pepper notes as well. The farmhouse style has a lot of leeway similar to some other styles so Pepe Nero fits, but the peppercorns change the expected flavors a lot. After having this one from Goose Island and enjoying it, it does make me want to try their other every day stuff, like Sofie, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment