Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Weyerbacher Mike

I had a bottle of Weyerbacher Mike today, an Abbey Dubbel.
Mike is part of Weyerbacher's Brewer's Select series.  All of the beers in the series go by Army lingo, so Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.  They wanted to experiment with different beer styles but didn't want to bother naming them so they came up with this.  The next is November, being released November 12th and it's an Imperial Brown ale infused with coffee.  Sounds pretty awesome.

Okay back to Mike.  First, it smelled super Belgian which is a good thing as it's a Belgian beer.  Lots of banana, some sweetness, some other unidentifiable smells.  Good though.  I tasted some sweetness, some malty flavors, and bananas in the finish.  Pretty satisfying mouth feel.  As it warmed up, I got some notes of caramel and toffee.  I actually felt it tasted quite a bit better warmer.  I unfortunately don't have another bottle, but if I did I'd definitely let it warm up before drinking it.  It feels like the caramel and toffee flavors would be much more pronounced.

2 comments: