Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weyerbacher Riserva 2009

To celebrate closing on our new house, my wife and I cracked open our bottle of 2009 Weyerbacher Riserva.
I've posted about the 2010 before and thought it was incredibly vinegary and sour.  Tasty, but a commitment in taste buds.  The 2009, however, was much more pleasantly sour and not nearly as vinegary.  The nose was still hugely funky with a sour raspberry aroma.  I put it down on the coffee table about 2 feet away and could still smell it.  Flavor wasn't sweet, but was way less in your face and ended more tart than sour.  Nice mix of raspberry flavor then some tartness until the two blend together a bit as you get used to it.  I like the punch you in the face effect of the 2010 but I can see why the more balanced and reasonable 2009 is more to people's liking.  Maybe the couple bottles of 2010 I have left will calm down a bit with some age but who knows and since my wife and I both like it as it is, not such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment