Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weyerbacher Riserva

Jo and I opened one of our bottles of Weyerbacher Riserva the other day.  It's an American Wild Ale (a sour) that was aged in barrels for 6 months or so (I don't really remember exactly) with a ton of raspberries.  It then conditions in the bottle for as long as necessary in order to create carbonation.  However, with the 2010, Weyerbacher had a lot of trouble getting it to carbonate and eventually decided it would just have low carbonation this year because it just wasn't going to ever fully carbonate.
Smells very sour and acetic.  Sharp, vinegary and very pungent.  First sip and you get a ton of sour.  While the flavors are reminiscent of raspberries, it isn't like drinking a glass of them as the sourness and vinegar notes are more prominent.  I felt like it has mellowed a bit since we bought it last November, but Jo disagreed and it's possibly just my imagination.  As I drank more and it warmed up, I started getting some mild apple juice notes similar to some other sours but the citric acid flavors always quickly overwhelmed everything.  Compared to some of the Russian River sours, this is sort of one-dimensional but I still enjoy it.  Definitely a sharing beer though as it's powerful and a 750 can take a while to finish alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment