Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Schlafly Imperial Stout 2008

The Friday after Thanksgiving, I opened my bottle of Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout from 2008. I bought this when I was in St. Louis earlier in the year. Turns out sharing it with my brother was a good idea as it would have been a bit too much for me alone I think.
Bourbon sweet nose, not much heat in it. While pouring it didn't look terribly thick, but on the first sip I realized the body was thicker than its appearance suggested. Lots of dark fruit, some oak, a bit of alcohol and a decent amount of bourbon flavor. As I drank more, the bourbon was the major flavor and slowly overpowered everything. There wasn't any heat at least and so it still tasted good but definitely different than the Bourbon County from yesterday.

I wonder what this is like fresh considering how strong the bourbon is three years later. I enjoyed the amount that I drank but the bourbon was getting to be a bit much for me and a full bottle would have probably worn out its welcome. Definitely something to share with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment