Friday, May 11, 2012

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree

I've had regular Crooked Tree before, which is a 6% or so regular IPA, and Super Juice, which is a 16% monster, but I haven't had a chance to try Double Crooked Tree yet. So, it was nice to finally pick up a few bottles and be able to try it in the comfort of my own home.
Sweet fruity nose with a decent amount of pine bitterness in it. Whiff of alcohol but not too strong and not unexpected. Shockingly enough, no sweetness at all in the first sip. Instead, it was quite bitter with some hoppy resin flavor. Finished pretty dry with more bitterness. No real hint of the 13% ABV. Kind of an amazing beer especially if you like that resiny hops. I'm amazed they fit all that bitterness into it without much sweetness being apparent especially as Super Juice, it's bigger brother, was pretty sweet when I had it last year. Really well done though I shouldn't be surprised as Dark Horse is quite good at these high ABV beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment