Thursday, December 20, 2012

Iron Hill Oak Aged Quad

I bought this bottle of Iron Hill Oak Aged Quad nearly two years ago I think. Originally, I bought it because my friends and I were going to do a quad tasting but that never actually happened. Oh well. So, I finally just decided to drink it myself this past weekend.
First, notice there aren't any bubbles at all in that glass. This was nearly completely still even more flat than Kevin's ODD barleywine from the other day. But, I didn't let it deter me! Super complex nose, almost port like. Chocolate, caramel, raisins, and plums. It also smelled thick, probably because it was kind of syrupy looking and pretty sweet. And yes, I said it smelled thick, deal with it even if that makes zero sense.

The first sip still reminded me a lot of port. Big cherry up front followed by tons of caramel, chocolate, molasses, and raisins. The cherry lingered in the aftertaste too. Considering this was 12.5%, I didn't get any alcohol which is just crazy. Don't get me wrong, the beer was boozy, it just didn't have any burn. It may have been flat and syrupy, but I still thought it was really good. A little bit of carbonation would have brought it to another level I expect. Wonder if it had any when it was first bottled. Who knows, I guess.

Also, with the holidays coming up my posts will be sporadic at best for the next two weeks or so. Look for normal posting starting again on January 3rd. I'll probably put up one or two over the holidays but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment