Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Bruery Five Golden Rings

Last Friday, Kite & Key had a holiday beer spectacular with a thorough list of christmas beers. I saw they put on The Bruery Five Golden Rings, the newest beer in their 12 days of Christmas, and was happy to see it still available yesterday for my weekly visit.
Got nutmeg or cinnamon in the nose without much else. First sip, the major thing I got was a pineapple sweetness, though more like sugary fruit juice than real pineapple, and then a little spice in the middle. As it warmed up and I got used to the fruit sweetness, I started noticing a little of the Belgian yeast strain used to brew it in the form of a little clove and mild banana. Never got much of the spices though other than in the nose. The beer definitely grows on you but for some the pineapple sweetness would probably be a bit much. My friend Craig thought so at least. I mostly liked it and thought it was at least unique for a Christmas beer even if it won't appeal to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I found this to be very heavy for a Belgian Strong Pale, a bit much when drinking a 750, but then I also understand that they're trying to make something that will last a while too (in keeping with the whole 12 days series). Belgian Strong Pales aren't exactly known for aging, but my understanding is that they dry out over time, which could actually work with this beer. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it definitely had a pretty thick mouthfeel. As far as aging, I didn't even think about it. I can't see it getting better with more age mostly because what is age going to do for it? The flavors form oxidation would mix really oddly with the pineapple sweetness. Glad I only drank 10oz of it though. More would probably have gotten old.

    ReplyDelete