Sunday, September 5, 2010

Stone's Old Guardian

After our trip to Weyerbacher, we stopped at Pearly Baker's Ale House and I had a glass of Stone's Old Guardian.
The first thing you should notice is that this bar is crazy.  The Old Guardian is 11.1% and they served it to me in a freaking pint glass.  In Philly, you'd probably get this in a 10oz glass instead because of its strength.  However, I wasn't going to complain.

It came out a nice reddish brown color with minimal head.  The first flavor is very like a barleywine, sweet and strong.  The finish of it is all Stone's though and is all hops.  At first I thought it was going to end up being unpleasant, but the hop flavors were overwhelmed by the strength of the beer.  I'm betting after a year of age this beer is pretty amazing since the hop flavors would be even more mild and just give it a pleasant background flavor.

I also had a glass of Allagash Black but don't have any pictures of it.  If you see it give it a try as it was quite good.  I'll talk about it when I get a chance to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment