Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Two for Tuesday, Redux

I had to drop some beer off at a friend's house in South Philadelphia so Jo and I went to Devil's Den for dinner.  The food was good and the beer was better.

The first beer I had was a collaboration between Two Brothers and Urthel called Moaten.
You can see it's a dark reddish-brown color with a small amount of head.  Pretty much what you'd expect from a Flanders Red Ale.  The initial taste is similar to apple juice and that flavor really sticks with you throughout the entire beer.  I wasn't terribly impressed with this since there was nothing really separating it from other beers in the style.  It would make a good introduction to the style as it is really mild, but compared to other offerings such as the Ichtegem's I posted about it was just kind of boring.  Nothing bad, but nothing interesting either.

The second beer I had was Ballast Point Sculpin.
I'm not a huge fan of IPAs as I prefer darker, maltier beers, but I've read a lot about Sculpin on Beer Advocate and had to find out what all the fuss was about.  I put the glass in front of a candle for the picture so the color is odd, but it was what you'd expect from an IPA, light brown and very little head.  The smell was all grapefruit.  Probably a little overwhelming if you don't like grapefruit, but it's what you'd expect from a good IPA.  The initial taste follows the smell of grapefruit, but impressively enough the bitterness doesn't linger at all.  I've had some beers that go overboard with the bitterness and that's all that is left on your tongue, but this one was incredibly good.  If you like IPAs definitely search this one out.  I know it's available in bottles at some of the distributors around here but it may only be in the 22oz cases.  Still worth it if this is your type of style.

4 comments:

  1. Rich - check this out - http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/09/the-draft-the-bruerys-autumn-maple-or-sweet-potatoes-are-the-new-pumpkins.html

    Are you into the fall seasonal beers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I like fall beers. That one sounds pretty awesome too. The Bruery makes a bunch of really limited beers actually and they all sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should make an index or include a search feature so people can look up your beer reviews on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm tagging all the post relatively appropriately so there's that. Otherwise, there is a search in the upper left but it seems to suck. I'll see if there's anything I can find.

    ReplyDelete