Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Karl Strauss Wreck Alley

My buddy in San Diego sent me this a little while ago. I've asked him for a couple of their anniversary beers before so he decided to send me this one presumably so I could check out some of their normal lineup. Plus, I love stouts so it's an easy choice for filling out a box.
Sweet nose with a hint of saltiness. Medium body. Flavors followed the nose with caramel, roast, a little soy sauce saltiness, and some bitterness in the finish. This isn't the first time I've found saltiness in stouts and so I didn't find it odd. I realize it doesn't seem like a great flavor in a beer, but think about how salt contrasts with chocolate and you get an idea of why it works. Plus it makes for a nice change between stouts from different breweries.

No comments:

Post a Comment