Monday, February 11, 2013

New Belgium Tart Lychee

This was sent to me by my buddy from San Diego. I'd heard that it was pretty good and was real happy to see it in the box when I opened it. Totally why I like not knowing everything before it arrives since surprises make receiving beer even more fun. Tart Lychee is an American Wild Ale.
Smelled quite tropical with a little sourness. Inviting. (I say this a lot don't I? Oh well.) First sip was a nice mix of sweet and sour balanced with some tropical fruit. Continued that way throughout the whole bottle, never becoming too sour or too sweet. Nothing mind blowing, but considering it was relatively cheap, it's totally solid. Probably a great way to slowly introduce people to a sour beer, too. My wife enjoyed this which is always a plus as well. This is basically what I expect from a New Belgium sour, well balanced and not overwhelming. I'm not sure if that sounds sarcastic, but I mean it as a positive since it means you know what you'll get. Always a good thing when buying new beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment