Monday, August 26, 2013

The Bruery Rye Whiskey Smoking Wood

Let's start with how it's always interesting trying to talk about the brewery named The Bruery. I get that it is partially based on the owner's name, Patrick Rue, but really all it does is cause a Laurel and Hardy Who's on First reaction. Maybe that's the point, I don't know, but it does get confusing at times. With that off my chest, Smoking Wood is a smoked imperial porter aged in Rye Whiskey barrels. I think there are some variants of this which is why the specific type of spirit barrel is named.
I split the bottle with a friend of mine and I'm pretty happy I did. Super smoky nose with some whiskey sweetness in the back. First sip was also ridiculously smoky, more campfire like than bacony. Some nice vanilla and light whiskey tones come out following the smoke but they never overcome it. The smoke is a bit overpowering actually. It was a tasty enough 12 ounces but I think it would have been a bit too much if I drank the whole 750. Honestly, you could say that about a lot of The Bruery beers, but that's because they probably expect you to share them. Considering the ABV, it makes sense to share them. In the end, if you like smoke, this is a good one to try though it's a bit pricey just so you all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment