Monday, July 9, 2012

2009 Stone Old Guardian

I bought this one at Capone's at some point after he'd already been aging it for a couple years. I don't really remember how long he had it versus it sitting in my basement though, not that it really matters.
Big nose on it. Lots of caramel sweetness with nice old hop notes. I realize if you don't really know what old hops smell like that description doesn't do you much good, but it's the best I can do. They are kind of earthy and grassy. Thick body. Still quite bitter on the first sip. Underlying caramel and fruit with a bitter finish as well. Remarkable bitterness at 3 years though I'm not sure if bitterness really fades in aging. I guess if enough other flavors, like the sherry notes from oxidation, overcome it then it may go away, but I don't really know. Still, quite delicious regardless and held up well over 3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment