Thursday, August 2, 2012

Doppelbocks at Brauhaus Schmitz

Jo and I went to Brauhaus Schmitz this past Saturday for some great German food and beer. It's been a long time since we'd been there and the last time I was kind of drunk already so I was excited to check it out again. When we arrived, there were some free seats at the front bar. If you haven't been recently, they have opened up a new back area that looks nice and spacious. This allowed them to make more room at the front bar by removing some tables, too, so there's a lot more standing room now. The bartender seemed really happy about that as it made getting to the front part of the restaurant way easier and removed a big roadblock to the servers.

The first beer I ordered was a Spaten Optimator, a doppelbock.
Inviting caramel and malt nose. Nice thick body. You can see the fluffy, thick head on it too. Makes you want to dive right in. Flavors were what you'd expect, lots of caramel and malt with some light fruitiness in the finish. No bite, no alcohol, just deliciousness. Great way to start the night.

After the Optimator, I decided to stick with doppelbocks so ordered a Paulaner Salvator.
Now, from the start, I'll admit I didn't expect as much from this one as I did from the Optimator because of the major color difference. The first was just so dark compared to this. Still, I did enjoy it just not quite as much. It smelled more bready with less caramel sweetness. Thinner too. The body had light fruit and light caramel and really just was lighter than the Optimator. If I had to choose between the two, I'd easily choose the first but I wouldn't refuse either.

We ordered some food and another round after that. The food was great with the bratwurst being cooked perfectly and my wife really enjoyed her dish. If you like German beer and German food, this place is awesome. Get an interesting crowd, too, seeing as how it's on south street, so you can watch some odd people come and go if that's your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment