Monday, January 7, 2013

He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16

The Jewbelation series from He'Brew brewing is an anniversary series they release every year. At least for the last couple of years, each new iteration adds 1 percent to the ABV to match the year, making this year's version 16%. I'm not really sure on a style but it's probably listed as an American Strong Ale. A quick glance at BeerAdvocate shows I'm correct mostly because that's just a catchall category for strong beers that don't really fit anywhere else.
Smelled of chocolate, raisins, and plums. Basically like a quad mixed with a less sweet port. No real hint of the 16% in the nose which was nice. Super thick though with enough carbonation to keep it from being cloying. Tasted of chocolate and burnt plums with a little harsh bitterness in the finish. The alcohol is not as hidden in the body as the nose, but it came and went as I drank more and was never too oppressive. I thought for a 16% monster it was remarkably easy to drink. My brother in law liked it quite a bit too. Definitely an interesting beer and for like $8 it's quite a deal. Also, my parents bought this for me because they liked the bottle which is pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment