Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Firestone Walker Wookey Jack

Now that my Labor Day beers are finally behind me, I can move on to some I've had since then. To start, I drank a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack this past Sunday while watching football. (So happy football is back even if listening to people talk about their fantasy teams is just about the most boring thing ever. It's worth it.) I was given this after buying a whole bunch of other beer from a local store. Lucky me and really nice store! Wookey Jack is a black IPA made with rye.
Grapefruit nose, hints of some rye spice. Tons of super fruity grapefruit at first, followed by some light roast and finished with more grapefruit and a decent amount of bitterness. Very dry and bitter aftertaste as well though that lets up when you get more used to it. Most of the bitterness was from the hops for sure but there is definitely some influence from the rye and roast.

Pretty great black IPA or American Black Ale, whatever you want to call the style. If you're looking to try it yourself, it's on draft around Philly right now and there are probably bottles still available too. Give it a try, it was tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment