Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Bruery Humulus Lager

Stopped in at Kite & Key this week and decided on a beer from The Bruery that I've seen a couple times but never ordered. I actually was deciding between the Bullfrog Edgar IPA and the Humulus Lager, but decided I liked the latter better after having a small sample of both. Also, note that The Bruery calls this a lager, more specifically a pilsener, but really it's much closer to an IPA if you are looking for a style comparison. At least in my opinion.
Nice tropical nose, a little fruity and a little citrusy. Up front, there was a burst of berry fruit which was followed by some bitterness from the hops. More berry fruitiness came out to finish things off. Pretty good beer regardless of the style. The Bruery once said they'd never brew an IPA and they are still technically correct. And you know how the saying goes, technically correct is the best kind of correct.

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I've not had this, but what you're saying about it technically being a lager but feeling more like an IPA reminds me of Tired Hands California Uber Helles. Technically a Helles lager, but it was made with copious amounts of Falconer's Flight (I believe), so it ended up tasting a lot like an IPA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's a very similar thought. It's brewed as a pilsener just with a ton of hops so it's not really recognizable as a stereotypical pilsener. So it has half the style conditions but only half. Regardless, if I was describing this to someone I'd tell them it drinks like an IPA and I think they'd be happier with that description.

    ReplyDelete