Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brooklyn Monster 2009

Apparently named after a very large cat at the Brooklyn Brewery, Monster is a English barleywine weighing in at around 11%.
I believe this bottle is from 2009 as the bottle says "This Monster Ale was born in 2009."  The case has it being bottled in the latter half of 2009 so I guess I'm correct.  Didn't even mean to buy a year and a half old case.  Ah well, pleasant surprises.

Smells of caramel, toffee and a tiny bit of fruit.  Tiny bit of alcohol presence is found but not much.  Nice mouthfeel.  Flavor was really mild on this one.  Well blended and no alcohol notes (which is good), but mild.  Caramel and toffee again with fruit following.  No alcohol burn at all.  Pretty tasty and I'd drink it again, but not a huge stand out.

2 comments:

  1. Monster's one of the few Brooklyn beers I've yet to try. I'll need to look for it. Was at the Brewery this weekend though, and spent some quality time with the feline Monster, who's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite good. Not sure how a fresh one tastes but a friend of mine likes it. I'm betting the alcohol is a bit more prevalent but it's dubbed as an English Barleywine so the hops are still probably mild.

    That's fun about the cat. It's a nice bit of trivia. Makes you wonder about other beer names too.

    ReplyDelete