Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Weyerbacher Old Heathen

While I was trying to save my last bottle of Weyerbacher Old Heathen in order to do a side by side with Heresy (which is this aged in bourbon barrels), my thirst got the better of me and I couldn't wait anymore.  Old Heathen is an Imperial Stout on the lighter side of ABV at 8%.  What?  8% is comparatively lighter!
This is quite tasty and really want to try Heresy at some point.  I feel the sweetness would hold up well to the bourbon flavors imparted by the barrel.  The aroma was mainly chocolate and vanilla with a small hint of coffee.  Very inviting.  Initially get fruit followed by chocolate.  Silky mouthfeel.  I got a tiny bit of bitterness (I expect from the hops) but it's immediately covered up by even more silky chocolate.  For whatever reason, the aftertaste is all vanilla and left my mouth happy.  If you couldn't tell, I really enjoyed this and could easily go back for more.  The Bells Expedition is still probably my favorite of the bunch, but Old Heathen comes really close and is available all year round which is a big plus in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment