Friday, March 18, 2011

Dogfish Head Olde School

I opened up my first bottle of Dogfish Head Olde School the other day.  It's a monster of a barleywine weighing in at 15%.  After having Dark Horse's 15% barleywine recently, I was expecting something akin to delicious lighter fluid but Dogfish Head surprised me with something better.
That's the awesome Ommegang chalice we got from our recent trip to Cooperstown.  Olde School smelled fruity (plum and grapes) with caramel and toffee in the back.  I couldn't find any alcohol in the aroma which is just really impressive.  Very fruity on the front end with some sugary sweetness following it.  I found some alcohol when I swallowed as it burned just a little bit, but it was almost pleasant and came and went.  Just crazy good for 15% and dangerously easy to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment