Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lunch at Eulogy

Met up with my buddy Greg at Eulogy, a bar in Old City, this past Sunday.  I haven't been there in quite a while and it was near the theater so there we go.  Nice place for those of you that haven't been.  Two floors (useful knowledge since the first floor gets busy) with a number of tables on both.  It does get busy at night (or at least it used to) but just go earlier and it's fine.  When I got there it wasn't too busy though the bar was pretty full.  I got a pretty tasty burger (blue cheese and onions, yum) and Greg got what looked like a decent grilled cheese.  They also had the usual Belgian stuff, Mussels etcs, as well if you are into that.  All in all a great place to go.

I started with a glass of Van Steenberge Gulden Draak mostly because I couldn't make up my mind and because I have that sweet glass here at home but couldn't remember what the beer tasted like.  Gulden Draak is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale (another catch all category) which is labeled a Dark Triple by the Belgium based brewery.
Very nice pour, fluffy head right up to the brim.  Spices in the nose, decent bit of clove, cinnamon and ginger, basically the Belgian nose you'd expect.  Caramel, tiny bit of banana, and similar spices follow in the first sip.  Really enjoyable.  Just sweet enough to keep you coming back but not cloying.  So just right.

After that, Greg and I split a bottle of Lost Abbey Red Poppy, a Flanders Oud Bruin.
We have both wanted to try this for a while but the bottle is just too expensive so sharing it seemed like a good way to taste it.  Red Poppy is a sour brown aged on cherries, so sort of similar to Russian River Supplication.  Smells of caramel with a bit of tartness.  Sweeter than you'd expect.  Up front is caramel and sugar but they are quickly followed by a smooth tartness and some cherry.  I thought there was a really mild bit of vinegar but it may just have been in my head.  Not dry at all so the finish is very clean without being exhausting.  Just sour and tart.  It was really quite good but for the prices it goes for (above $20 for a 375ml), it's just not worth it to me to try again.  I'd rather have Supplication if I'm going to shell out that kind of money.  Still, worth a try once and worth sharing.

All in all a great trip to Eulogy.  Good food, good company, and great beer.  If the drafts don't appeal, their bottle selection is beyond extensive.  Just a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment