Friday, September 16, 2011

Innis & Gun Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer

Besides having the longest name ever, the Innis & Gunn Rum cask is apparently a scotch ale aged in oak barrels, then all of it is moved to used rum barrels, and then it's blended for bottling.
First thing to note is the clear bottle. I got a case of this so didn't need to worry about light, but if buying single bottles beware clear bottles are awful about protecting beer. Smelled of vanilla and a hint of rum. Very sweet nose. Starts with mild rum, vanilla, and some caramel. Continues that way throughout the whole glass with the rum flavors growing. My first thought was how little it tasted like beer. I mostly just got vanilla and rum from the barrels.

Honestly not sure how I felt about this one. I didn't hate it but I also didn't really like it that much. Guess I'll go with ambivalent. Not something I'd buy again but I wouldn't refuse to drink it if someone offered it to me. High praise I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment