Friday, September 20, 2013

Bear Republic Cafe Racer 15 at Kite & Key

A week ago Thursday, Kite & Key did a small tap takeover with a bunch of Bear Republic beers. With the exception of Tartare, all of them were still on tap when I made my weekly visit on Tuesday. At least I'm pretty sure that's true. I did manage to stop in last Friday to get Tartare, though, which is still as awesome as I remember. Some people on BeerAdvocate are arguing with me that it is too sour, but they are just wusses. I chose Cafe Racer 15 for my beer on Tuesday which is a double IPA.
Sugary sweet, melon like nose. Not malty sweet for the most part, more just sugar based. The body had a similar melon sweetness with some light earthy notes in the back. A bit thicker than most IPAs but somehow still a bit dry at least in the beginning. Hops and sweetness was nice through most of the glass, but there was a boozy quality to it that grew a little cloying as I drank more. By the end, the 9%+ ABV wasn't anywhere near as well hidden. Still, depending on what you are looking for in a double IPA, this was decent enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment