Friday, September 27, 2013

Saucony Creek Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress

I was at my local store the other day, chatting with the owner, when I saw this bottle on the counter. I'd just been reading about it on BeerAdvocate so decided to grab one. This would be my first pumpkin beer of the season too so that's fun. Maple Mistress is a 9.5% Imperial Pumpkin made with pumpkin, maple syrup, and other spices.
Nose was full of cinnamon, nutmeg, and earthy pumpkin. Thicker mouthfeel, definitely due to the higher than average ABV. The initial wave of flavor is all cinnamon. Just a huge flavor bomb of it. Following that was a decent amount of bitterness, but that quickly faded into the cinnamon for me as I drank more of the glass. I didn't actually get much of the maple though others have claimed to taste it. If you like cinnamon, you'll love this, that's for sure. I'm not sure I liked it as much as, say, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, but it's a bit different because of the huge amount of cinnamon so that's something.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I found this to be oppressively sweet and boozy, but then I was drinking in the context of a tasting and sometimes I really like sweet/boozy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I dunno. All I got was a significant amount of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete