Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Founders Blushing Monk

After many years, Founders is once again bottling beers in 750ml bottles. The first in their special line was named Blushing Monk, a Belgian Style Ale brewed with a ton of raspberries.
The aroma was all raspberry, all the time. Just crazy strong smelling. Not cloyingly sweet, but strong. Very thick mouthfeel. Starts very sweet with clean raspberry flavors. Just really sweet. No tartness to counteract the sweetness either. However, things changed as the 9% alcohol started to come to the front. I drink stronger beers way more often so it wasn't particularly noticeable to me, but my wife found it became overwhelming quite quickly.

Originally I bought it to share with Jo because she sometimes likes the sweeter beers, but because of the alcohol notes she found, I ended up drinking both glasses. Big sacrifice, I know. Although I enjoyed it, I don't think I'd buy another bottle considering the price. However, I'd seek it out again on draft and hope to find it somewhere in the city. Also can't wait until Founders announces their next in the 750 line as I'm sure it will be something cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment