Friday, August 26, 2011

Trip to Hulmeville

Haven't been back to the Hulmeville Inn since the awesome Beer Geek BBQ for Natalie and I thought a trip was in order. Since I had to meet up with my buddy Greg anyway I figured why not at one of the best bars in the suburbs. I started with a Stone Imperial Russian Stout and for those following along, yes, I had this quite recently at the Kite & Key. It's delicious, so sue me.
Not going to talk about it much other than to say it was chocolatey, smooth with a hint of vanilla. Just an excellent imperial stout and always a pleasure.

After that, I got a glass of PBC Shackamaximum, an Imperial Stout aged on oak chips, from the hand pump.
I had it a long while ago at Capone's, but this time it tasted completely different. If you look at that link, last time I had it there were chocolate and roast notes while this time the major component was oak. I got a hint of vanilla but no roast or chocolate. As I drank more, the oak overpowered everything and it ended up tasting like chewing on a toothpick. Not unpleasant, but not particularly good either. Definitely not impressed like I was last time.

So just a quick trip but always fun. Of course, the power went out for around an hour but they were still serving the beer so whatever. Fun time and always looking forward to the next.

2 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to admit that I still haven't made a trip to the Hulmeville Inn. This place has been on my "go to" list for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got its charm and the owner Jeff puts a lot of effort into everything he does. Plus, some of the best bottle prices around.

    ReplyDelete